Thursday, May 23, 2013

My Emery Bear

There is a wonderful organization called Molly Bears.  They make bears for people who lose their babies that weigh the same amount as your baby.  They are so popular that you may only sign up once a month, and it takes between 12-18 months to receive your bear after that.  I figured I was on the wait list for the long haul and knew it would be worth the weight eventually.  Until last month I hadn't ever thought about getting it early, to get a bear early it costs $100 for an "express pass" which bumps you to the top of the wait list and as much as I wanted one there was NO way I can afford that.  They charge so much to make sure they can continue making bears for other families too.

I had a friend who had received her bear the month before as a gift from a family she had never met, who had read the story about the loss of her son Samuel in April 2012.  She told me that the same family wanted to know of someone else to get a molly bear for and she had given them my name.  I was so excited I literally jumped up and down.  I waited and waited to get an email from the family and it never came. The express passes had been sold and I had assumed they picked someone else and that I would be waiting for my bear again.

Beginning of May I got an email from Molly bears asking to confirm my address and then I got another message from my friend telling me to send a lady (also named Ashley) a message.  Ashley explained that she was the aunt to baby Jonah.  She said that she was going to buy Jonah's bear for his mom and dad, and they were going to buy a bear for another family. BUT instead they took the money they made along with some donations the family received when Jonah passed.  They were able to raise enough money to buy 10 bears.  They would get a Jonah bear and 9 other families would be getting theirs thanks to their donation.  They emailed molly bears and explained that they had wanted to get one for me as well and were old they would be happy to send me mine as one of the other bears.  I was SO happy it meant that I would be getting my bear.

I am blown away by the generosity of a stranger whose family was also, unfortunately, effected by losing a baby.  What a kind and amazing family to help so many people recieve their bears.  WELL today I got my bear.  I was on the phone with my dad and almost couldn't get the words " I will call you back" out of my mouth.  I opened the box and pulled out my bear, he was absolutely amazing!!

He is 18 inches long (they try to get the height close) 6 pounds 8 ounces.  His bow says Emery and has a dragonfly, and his  foot has an iris on it.  I have held it all day and am so glad to have him here! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment