Saturday, February 2, 2013

Found my luck


"Before you were conceived I wanted you 

Before you were born I loved you 

Before you were here an hour I would give my life for you 

This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins"


I don't think there is a statement more true then this one for my son.  I had always wanted a son.  I am not really sure what it was but I always dreamt of having a son.  I love him more then I can express in words, and I did my best to show him by giving him a birthday.  To some it may not seem like much, to others who have been there, its huge. When your child recieves a terminal diagnoses deciding how to handle it is one of the hardest things, at least for me it was.  

Although the decision didn't take long to make it was a hard one knowing all the things that would go into it.  What do I say when people ask about my pregnancy?  How do I handle all the physical changes, before and after, without having my baby here to care for?  How can I put so much love into him, knowing I will have to let go?  It was a lot to think about, and continues to be!  Luckily I have a ton of support and I have found strength in telling my story.  I don't go around announcing it to strangers, but at the same time, when someone is pushy with a million questions like are you excited?  I bet your ready to give birth already huh? ect.  I usually tell them.  No I am not ready to give birth,  no excited isn't really the right word.  I explain that this baby I am carrying is very very loved but his time with us will be much shorter then most.  I am not ready to give up his kicks, I want to hold on to every moment for as long as possible.  Some people seem SHOCKED when I tell them, but I think it teaches them a lesson to love every moment in their own lives.  I talked to a lady at the store a few weeks ago, she had a million questions for me, and she was also pregnant.  She wanted to know girl or boy?  I answered boy.  She wanted to know when I was due?  February 9th.  I bet your ready huh?( I was about 36 weeks)  I answered no not really.  Then she told me how she was due in March and being pregnant sucks and she cant wait to have her kid already, I must be crazy for not wanting to have him yet.  And I told her.  "my son is terminally I'll,  I decided to carry him to term because I wanted as much time with him as possible, and though its quickly running out I am not ready to put an end to it any sooner.  I normally wouldnt like being pregnant either, I didn't with my daughter, its hard work! But my son has taught me to love the moments.  The pain, tiredness and million other less fun things about being pregnant just mean I am doing what I can for my son.  Since I cannot fix him, I can certainly sacrifice my comfort for him."  She looked at me stunned, and started crying.  My goal was certainly not to make her cry, just simply to understand where I was coming from.  Her husband walked up at this time and I am sure he thought she was nuts!  She told me that she couldn't imagine having the strength I did,  that she would pray for me and for a miracle.  She also said she would cherish the rest of her pregnancy with her baby, remembering how precious it really was. 

 I feel that Emery's story is important and I am happy to share what I can.  Actually, this blog has over 1600 page views, most of them recently!  I hope that people are able to find strength in our story, I have no idea where mine has come from but I am happy to share it how I can!

Emery hasn't been born yet and if I could sacrifice my own life to save his I would do it in a heart beat.  I know that I am unable to do so, so I will love him every moment and be a better mom to my daughter.  Life is so short and so unknown, I want her to know that she is my priority in every way, at all times.  I can't fix Emery's life but I can use what it has taught me and be the best mom to my daughter that I can possibly be.

Also in just over 36 hours I will be going into the hospital to start my induction.  Emery is happy and bouncing around today, enjoying all of his time where he is safe and warm.  I pray for an uncomplicated delivery, and that it isn't too hard on him.  No matter what he has put up an amazing fight to be here and I am proud of him!!  I am lucky he has been brought into my life, no matter how badly I wish he was going to be growing up with me, I know that I am lucky.  I found a quote online while I was pregnant, it said "most people only dream of angels I got to hold one in my arms"  It really opened my eyes to knowing that I was lucky!  Maybe not in the most conventional way, but luck was something we did have on our side.

Since I will most likely be holding my son 2 days from now I am not sure when I will be on here again to update.  I plan to enjoy every second I have with him and I will share him afterwards.  Thank you for all the love support and prayers for us and our families.  These next few days may not be easy and I am thankful knowing that so many people are out there praying and thinking of us.  As I said before, how lucky am I??

3 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! You're amazing. Sending all my love as you meet your son<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be praying for you and your beautiful boy. Take lots of photos and enjoy him as much as you can. Thank you for sharing your story. <3 God gave you this little guy for a reason. Will you someday inspire someone to let their little one be born? Or will you help a woman who has gone through miscarriage become joyful again? I don't know, but God does.
    Lots of blessings in this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, YOU are amazing my friend. What a beautiful tribute you have given to your son! Thank you SO much for sharing your journey with all of us. I feel your love in every word I read. I have never read anything more beautiful than this and I KNOW Emery (your husband and daughter as well)feels every bit of your love that you are sending forth. What a lucky little boy he is to have you for his mommy. God chose YOU for a reason and all one has to do is read your story to understand why. Look at all the wonderful things little Emery has taught you. He is definitely an angel as are you. You all will be in my thoughts and in my prayers tomorrow as you celebrate your little boys birthday. Love to all of you Ashley...

    ReplyDelete